English
Dansk
Latviešu

Rock of Cashel

The area here in Cashel, Co. Tipperary, is rather flat compared to the rest of Ireland which just makes this site even more impressive.

On the only rock within miles the King of Munster decided to build here already in the 5th century, but nothing is left from that time. However, some buildings from the 12th century still stand here in a remarkable good shape. Those buildings were built when the site was handed over to the church in 1101.

It functioned as a religious centre until the siege in 1647 where all 3000 occupants were killed. The huge and very impressive cathedral was finally abandoned in the late 18th century.

Now-a-days this site is only “besiege” by tourists.

The oldest buildings here are the Round Tower, Cormac’s Chapel and the St. Patrick Cross (see photo 4, 5, and 6). They are all from the 12th century.

A century later the cathedral is built and finally in the 15th century the castle and the small houses on the very slope were erected (see photo 3, 8, 15, 16 and 17).

In the distance we could see the ruins of Hore Abbey. Unfortunately we couldn’t go there because it was impossible to get a pushchair through the gate. Anyway, the Abbey was built in the 13th century.